Benefits of being a medical tourist in India
The rise of medical tourism in India has been in the limelight since quite a while.
The rise of medical tourism in India has been in the limelight since quite a while. According to a report published in Business Standard, “the number of foreign tourists coming to the country for medical purposes increased 50 per cent to 200,000 in 2016 from 130,000 in 2015. This number is expected to double in 2017 with several new initiatives like easier visas for medical tourists.” It is not unfair to say this has given rise to several medical tourism companies in India. There are several benefits attached to coming to India for medical treatment. Let’s take a look at these:
1. Availability of different types of treatments and therapies: In most European and many Asian and African countries other than India, allopathy or homeopathy are the only types of treatment available. On the other hand, India offers a host of alternative therapies such as Ayurveda, Unani, naturopathy, etc. These therapies are minimally invasive and have lesser or no side effects. Some procedures such as stem-cell therapy and hip-resurfacing which are facing legal battles in some countries, in those cases India turns out to be a feasible option to get the treatment.
2. Quality healthcare: In most cases, quality healthcare services equated with exorbitant costs. But, the cost of treatment in India is much lower as compared to many European and Asian countries. Highly-qualified doctors provide the same level of world-class treatment and care as is there in developed countries. On the other hand, for patients coming from developing countries, Indian healthcare facilities give them a chance to seek quality healthcare at reasonable prices. The issue of inadequate healthcare facilities that patients from developing countries face in their countries gets resolved in India.
3. Cost-effective treatment: Cost of almost all types of treatments in India is the fraction of what costs in the UK, US or other developed nations. For example, as mentioned in a report published on timesofindia.indiatimes.com, “the cost of treating cancer abroad can be around ten times more and in dollars, so that effectively makes it 500 times more. For example, even for a simple consultation abroad the deposit is 10,000 USD (approx Rs 511100)."
4. End-to-end services: Medical tourism companies in Delhi or Chennai provide end-to-end services to international patients. These services include the following:
● Travel arrangements
● Local transportation
● Translator (if required)
● Choosing the right hospital
● Fixing appointments
● Getting the earliest possible dates for medical procedures
● Follow-up treatment once a patient's fly back to their country
5. Opportunities to travel around: Travelling to a new place helps anyone feel better and that’s what comes as an additional advantage of choosing India as a medical-tourism destination. If the patient’s condition is not too serious or if he or she is seeking dental care, cosmetic care or wellness treatments; then they may also spare sometime to travel around and explore the city or state they are in. Some medical tourism companies in Delhi also include sight-seeing in some healthcare packages.
However, keep in mind that choosing the best from the number of medical tourism companies in India, will require legwork and research. Choose a company which is transparent in all dealings before embarking on the journey.