10 Nifty Customer Service Tips for Call Center Agents
Call center agents are your customer’s first line of contact when it comes to resolving their concerns. Make sure they are customer service-ready with these 10 nifty tips.
Call center agents are the customer service front liners of a company. They reflect the character of the company’s brand to customers. When the customers experience quality care from call center agents, it leaves the impression that the company can be trusted because of the kind of service they received.
That said, we have 10 nifty tips for call center agents that will up the ante in customer service delivery.
1. Smile when talking to customers. The customer will notice the welcoming tone in your voice when you smile while speaking to them.
2. Show courtesy to customers by addressing them by their names. Pronounce it correctly and clearly. If they have titles to their names like Dr., then ask if they want to be addressed by their titles. Customers appreciate it when specific details about them are noticed.
3. When a customer is irate, remain calm. Do not be rattled by them. Respond respectfully and convince them that you are there to help and you will make sure that their issue will be fixed no matter what.
4. Handle every customer concern with confidence. You were contacted by the customer because they trust that you have the answers they need—which you do. Remember to be confident, not arrogant.
5. In circumstances that you really can’t answer your customers, be transparent and honest with them. Politely say you have not encountered it yet but assure them that you will find the answer before the call ends or that you will call them back right away for follow up.
6. To avoid dead air as you are navigating through your support tool, engage the customer in small talks. It can be about anything random like the weather or you can use this time to ask if there is any update in their customer information.
7. There would be instances where customers will call and just vent out their feelings.You don’t have to say anything just yet. Listen intently and just respond to acknowledge how they feel. After they have released these emotions, they will be more open to what you will say. The moment they ask for your assistance, take that cue to provide what they need.
8. Avoid sticking to your script all the time. Learn to be flexible and not robotic. When the situation calls for it, apply necessary changes that will be suitable for the customers’ concern and help resolve their issues faster.
9. Display a trustworthy character by meeting customer’s expectations, being truthful in your interactions and dependable to resolve customer issues. This mirrors the values of the company stands and shows the reliability and integrity of the brand you are representing.
10. Refrain from using negative remarks. The language you use is how customers perceive you, especially when on the phone. If you speak negative, they see negative. Try to be more positive with your statements to customers, like saying “I’ll see what I can do,” instead of “I can’t do that,” or “Expect your package to arrive on [give specific date]” rather than “There will be delay in your shipment.” Create a positive customer experience with positive language.
The growing demands of customers should be met with more effective service support from you. Let these tips help you enhance your skills as call center agents and ultimately become champions in customer service.
Alleli Aspili is a Senior Specialist for Business Development in Infinit Outsourcing, Inc. (Infinit-O), an ISO-certified BPO companythat caters inbound call center, finance and accounting and healthcare outsourcing to SMEs. Responsible for maintaining Infinit-O, Infinit Contact, Infinit Healthcare, Infinit Datum and Infinit Accounting online brand and content.